Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Trash to Treasure - What to Do with Snow

A Special Note!

Poor Mr. Linky got a bunch of undeserved negative comments yesterday at my Blue Monday post, and he didn't earn any of them. Truthfully, I've never had any problems with him.



My modem began to give me trouble several days ago. It would go in and out--on and off. I had so much stress trying to keep up with my blogging visits and comments. I would be in the middle of a comment, and my internet service would cut off.



I called my internet server on Saturday, and they diagnosed it as a Major Problem outside my home. They got it fixed some time after 2:30 Monday. For most of the weekend and into Monday, I was without computer service. I had NO WAY to put up Mr. Linky until Monday afternoon! I love Mr. Linky, and if I weren't already married ....



My friend, Diane at A Picture is Worth A Thousand... hosts Trash to Treasure. She's a creative and crafty lady. She finds what someone thinks is not worth much and tweaks it a bit to create a thing of beauty and value for her home. If you'd like to join in the fun, click on the link.

With Diane's permission, I'm stretching the idea of trash to treasure as I am neither creative nor crafty, so please bear with me. Some people think that snow is TRASH, while others say that it's a TREASURE. Here's something to help you decide: is it TRASH or TREASURE?

*****


I got this from a friend who wanted to "get you in the mood for winter." I hope it helps you enjoy these winter months.




























*****
Somewhere It's Snowing
(a song)

I once read in a poem - when snow covers the earth
That it hides the world's scars and gives nature new birth
And they say when a man turns from sin to the Lord
That forgiveness like snow covers him evermore.

And it's told that the angels lift their hearts and rejoice
When one traveler turns homeward from his way to the Lord's
If somewhere someone's turning, he's giving his all
Then God's grace like the snow is beginning to fall.

And somewhere it's snowing, see the soft drifting down
As the snowflakes surrender to the hardening ground
Like the good grace of Jesus, that now covers our sin
In the kingdom of Heaven,
it's snowing again.


If you'd like to hear this song, click here.

*****


30 comments:

Sweetie said...

Good Morning Sally, What a beautiful poem and lovely music to listen to early this morning. I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy "Blue Monday." I was in a panic yesterday when I couldn't find Mr. Linky. Sometimes technology tries to outwit us. I hope that you have a great day.
Hugs,
Sweetie

Nanna said...

sweet post today Sally, glad you got Mr Linky all better, when it becomes the demands of the people vs the demand of the internet world, well we know who wins don't we, lol my computer wouldn't budge last week & I couldn't do anything, but don't you worry, all your true "blue" friends will always come back LOL have a great day today!
Helen

April said...

Great poem, Sally, and cute comics, too! Sorry you had problems with your modem...that can be SO frustrating! Hope all is well now! Happy Tuesday!

sara said...

my husband sent me those comics a while back, they are so funny. We are a calvin and hobbs loving family!!

Libby's Library said...

Oh how I love Calvin - it's even funnier when you have a kid who is a Calvin (not in name, but in spirit)!
Lovely poem.
I'm so glad that having Mr. Linky up and running, is making you happy.

Unknown said...

Glad your computer issues are solved!

I think your post is a treasure as always! They make me smile!

Thanks for linking up today,
:) Diane

Anonymous said...

What a cute snowy post. I love snow. Wish we had a little snow around here once in a while. I'm glad you took up for Mr. Linky. He has had a hard time lately and lots of people have been really mad at him.
Charlotte

bj said...

Your delightful sense of humor continues to give me giggles every single morning! I love that about you!
xo bj

Anonymous said...

I always loved Calvin and Hobbes' snow sculptures.

I knew Mr. Linky was having problems, too, because on one place I was trying to link to Sat. it was showing and and disappearing all through the day. But I am glad both he and your modem got their problems taken care of. :-)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Sorry about your internet problems, Sally. Those kind of problems can be so frustrating--especially when it's out of our control... Grrrrrr!!!

About snow being trash or treasure, I guess it all has to do with where you live. We don't get much snow here in TN -and because of that, I love it. IF I lived up north and had TONS of snow, I'd probably feel very differently. Oh well--right now, for me, it's a treaure!
Hugs,
Betsy

artis1111 said...

These are so funnnnny!! Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally
i thought you were having internet problems and it wasn't Mr. Linky.

I loved the snowman jokes and pics...*chuckling*

Thank you for sharing the words to that poem. Its pretty and i enjoyed that. I was unable to listen to it though because it does not play outside the U.S. Isn't that interesting?

Have a lovely day
Judi

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Poor Mr. Linky... he got quite the tongue-lashing, didn't he? LOL!

I just took the bull by the horns and visited the people who said they were participating and tried to make sure I saw everyone on the linky thing when it was up. There's more than one way to skin a cat! :-)

Loved your cartoons and the song. Definitely treasure, but you always come up with treasure, Sally!

XO,

Sheila

Cathy said...

Sally, I hope your computer is all fixed now. I know how frustrating that can be. The cartoons are cute and the song, very pretty.

Anonymous said...

SO MANY OF US,MYSELF ENCLUDED HAVE HAD PUTER PROBLEMS.I CHANGED PROVIDERS AND AM I SORRY I DID.THIS POST WAS A HOOT.JUST WHAT I NEEDED TODAY...ANN

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

thank you for sharing this beautiful song, and thank you for sharing some Calvin smiles. laurie

Killlashandra said...

Calvin and Hobbs are just wonderful. :) I like the think of snow as a treasure, however after 12 years in Chicago and watching the salt and the traffic turn it slate gray and black right than I also think of it as trash. When snow can be enjoyed it is a wonderful treasure.

Anonymous said...

Sally, how funny you use that misty mauve lipstick. That is one of my favorite colors.

I say snow is a treasure and we have lots of it right now. My dh might disagree because today we went to town to run errands and we couldn't get up our driveway when we arrived home. lol. He just went bowling early and I walked up to the deck. Just now he was able to drive all the way up and into the garage. Thank goodness. We are really not used to driving in snow.

The comics are very funny and your post was very clever Sally girl. LOL.

Hugs...Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Nice post Sally. I liked that poem.

Anonymous said...

SALLY THANK YOU FOR THE SWEET INVITATION.BUT.....MY LAST HOUSE I WAS INTO BLUE.I WAS FOR MOST OF MY LIFETIME.
BUT I THINK I BLUED MYSELF OUT.HA.
NOW,I HAVE SO LITTLE OF IT.LIKE GLORIAS KITCHEN,HAPPY TO BE,MY ENTIRE HOUSE WAS BLUE.I WOULD'VE HAD BLUE TO LAST A LONG TIME.
AGAIN,THANK YOU...ANN

Marie De Marco said...

Hi Sally
I enoyed the Snowmen, here in Jersey we do get some. Except not enough to make a snowman YET! Thanks for visiting my blog.
Marie

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Great post today Sally and girl I still love you even if it was mr. Linky...the best to you dear friend..hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Anonymous said...

Evening, Most Smiling One! Now aren't those little jokes cute? I had a little bit of a problem trying to read the itty bitty print with my olden eyes!
That was a very nice poem.
Yes, you have been the only one to mention my ever faithful Chloe Dawn! You're so observant! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Linda said...

Computer problems of any kind can be so frustrating. Loved your comics!!

Cottage Rose said...

Hey Sally; You Crack me up. lol; I love all the comic's how funny they all are. Hmmmm wonder if I could build one like one of them...

Hugs
Alaura

Vanessa said...

Thanks for the laughs, Sally!

Raxx - A day in the life said...

You've given me a heaping helping of my favorite cartoon character!

The Muse said...

We can forgive MR Linky then? YEAH!

Sandra said...

I'm just visiting your blog for the first time and as I scrolled down, there was Calvin and Hobbes -- my all-time favorite comic strip!

Each time I went to the next strip down, I wondered if it would be my favorite snow (although not snowMAN) strip. Which is -- Calvin is standing outside, looking up and says, "I want SNOW!" The next frame, nothing. Third frame, he's still looking up and a single snowflake floats down. The final frame, he looks straight at the reader and says, "I know when I'm being mocked." I just love him.

But, I've enjoyed some of the other things I've read here too, so I'll be back.

btw, it's always nice to find another blogger who is actually in my age group and retired! :)

Heidi Pocketbook said...

Too funny! Loved the cartoons!!!